Town of Herndon – GIS Specialist 2
The Town of Herndon is looking for experienced GIS and Cityworks engineer to enhance Town’s current ArcGIS and Cityworks implementation.
Engineer will provide support for the implementation of enterprise GIS focusing on Cityworks and GIS integration. The role is responsible for assessments and recommendations, system administration and configuration, application deployment, documentation, end user support and training data analysis, data modeling, web service creation, application testing and troubleshooting.
Performs a variety of responsible professional and technical work related to the design, development, implementation, administration and enhancement of the town’s Enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS) in cooperation with IT staff. Assists in user training and demonstrations on use of GIS tools and GIS applications, and assists with the development and implementation of department/division GIS initiatives and programs.
- Lead needs assessments/requirements meetings and document solutions for GIS enterprise use
- Provide/write GIS system technical recommendations, standard operating procedures, administrative and help documents for clients and technical teams.
- Assess customer’s existing GIS environments and recommend areas for improvements in application technology, system performance, and software migration plans
- Communicate with architects and developers to successfully deploy custom solutions
- Write and execute test plans
- Troubleshoot solution errors and support end users
- Present system design information to technical and non-technical audiences
- Create mapping, imagery and data services
- Works with town departments and IT staff to identify available GIS data, evaluate for accuracy, and consolidate into centralized data source for the town.
- Work with IT department to secure GIS and make it application accessible internally and externally.
- Publish departmental maps and integrate GIS services with SeeClickFix mobile application and Cityworks.
- Train users on the use and adoption of Cityworks technologies
- Works with town departments to define and meet mapping and GIS data needs, implement GIS best practices and ensure compliance with relevant data standards, policies and regulations.
- Creates moderately complex cartographic products, dynamic web maps, static maps, charts, reports and graphs as needed by departments and assists in the management of department/division GIS layers and related data.
- Assists in the development of automated data management routines and various projects to improve department or program efficiency.
- Reviews, creates and maintains metadata to specifications for datasets and services.
- Assists and trains other users with GIS software and workflow processes.
- Resolves technical issues in cooperation with IT staff.
- Serves as liaison to Fairfax County GIS for updates.
- Utilizes GIS tools and data to improve the development of business processes within the department/division.
- Designs, develops and implements GIS enhancements using various ESRI programming tools and methodologies.
- Identifies and resolves complex GIS issues that affect the town’s ability to meet objectives.
- Assists in the design and implementation of integrating GIS with other enterprise systems.
- Assists in maintaining and administering ArcGIS Server including security, publishing map services and content management.
- Assist in preparing disaster recovery plans.
Competencies and Skills:
- Admin experience with Esri’s GIS platform (ArcGIS Server, enterprise geodatabase, ArcGIS Online) to support Cityworks integration.
- Knowledge in the following software programs: ESRI ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS 10.x, AutoCAD, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator.
- Experience installing and configuring ArcGIS 10.x and Microsoft SQL server 2016
- Experience installing and configuring Cityworks Server software
- Experience configuring Cityworks core/add-ons/modules:
- Comfort discussing and documenting configuration requirements with clients
- Experience providing knowledge transfer or training to Cityworks administrators and end users
- Understanding of the Cityworks database schema and associated backend management/scripting
- Exceptional customer service orientation
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and presentation skills
- Ability to analyze business processes and systems and migrate to/integrate with geospatial
- Assist customers with on-demand and as needed support including reporting, training, work analysis and integration.
- Participate in other project on Work Management Systems and other Systems and Services as required. Accountabilities/Responsibilities: Cityworks Consulting Services
- Assist clients in configuring their Cityworks system to align with their asset or work management business requirements.
- Assist on and lead technology projects that establish Cityworks systems.
- Perform client interviews and collect data.
- Review, Analyze, Validate and Manage datasets for system conversions and updates
- Coordinate and develop sections of reports dealing with Cityworks.
This position is located in Herndon, Virginia. This is not a telework opportunity.